Wednesday, November 14, 2012

HW2: Change is good.

Have you ever wondered how you could have lived when you were born in another year? Where, in that moment, you are a totally different person? Like what if you were the parent of your parents instead of you being their child?

A few weeks back, my sisters and I went to our cousin's place. We fondly call them (our cousins) our extended sisters. We spent overnight there watching the first season of The Vampire Diaries altogether.

The Vampire Diaries (cast)

In the show, the casts were trying to relate the past and the present. With them being "vampires," along with their ability to live endlessly, it was easy for them to relate the present with the past.

I was getting hooked with the show and I am about to finish its third season now. But it just made me think about so may "what if" questions.

While I was watching, and thinking of my what ifs, I decided to open google and search about Filipino's dating culture: how it had changed through the years, and how the changes affected the people.

I saw an article entitled "Filipino Dating Culture" by Rianne Hill Soriano, an eHow contributor on eHow. In her article, she wrote how Filipino's dating culture has changed through time.

My mom -- with my aunts and grandparents, too -- used to tell me stories on how dating was like many years ago. Well, I think dating then was sweeter and more sincere than now. And what I thought was a bit "strengthened" by Soriano's article.

Although I have observed a few similarities, it was not impossible to spot the period's differences:


Image Source
Filipinos have always been family oriented, then and now. Although then, whatever their family says matter and shall be followed, but now, family's opinion still matter but is not necessarily followed.



Image Source

Then, first dates were supposed to be made for both the girl & a boy to get to know each other. Now, first dates is not really for 'getting to know each other' but more on 'getting closer to your heart' or something -- this is made possible with social media on the side.





Image Source


Many years ago, courtship is a sign of a guy's sincerity to show his love to a girl by going to her house, exerting efforts to show the family of the girl that he's serious about being with their daughter. But in the present, social media has interfered courtship making many men not go to the girl's house to court her anymore.




Image Source


However, dating places and follow up dates, has mostly been constant through years. Malls, since it had theaters in it, had always been the favorite dating spot of people -- well, also parks.





Moreover, maybe we should consider that the style of dating, as a fact, has changed already. Specifically since the arrival of the foreign people in our country. However, I think this is not a bad idea at all. ♥

1 comment: