Wednesday, November 21, 2012

HW3: Communication, Trust and Respect



Have you seen documentaries about Filipinas meeting foreigners and ending up having a relationship with them? I love documentaries like that. I think, the last one I watched was featured in iWitness – a documentary show in GMA7. 

Image Source

The said episode was about the still existing post offices in the country today which is a bit risky since technology is mostly used.  If I am not mistaken, Howie Severino was the one who made that documentary. I really had to finish the story, maybe because I am really hooked with the topic – plus! I really like the way Howie Severino delivers every documentary that he makes.

Anyway, I was planning to watch the documentary again, but decided not to do so and do my homeworks instead.  I saw this article online.  It was about (and entitled) the Filipino-American relationships. The said article was made by Panda B of http://asianfriends.com.au/ which I think is her personal blog site.

Her site was about Asian cultures, of course, including Filipinos’. Moreover, she discussed in the said article the past – up to the present – ways of dating and committing into a relationship of a Filipino and an American to each other.  Also on how it eventually evolved from by simply sending snail mails and long distance phone calls into communicating through electronic mails and video calls in the present. She even indicated in her post the start of the Filipino-American generations, and even had the chance to state that not all Fil-Am relationships succeeded but some also had to end.

Image Source

However, I would not deal with the past. I will be focusing on the present, since this is really what will help me (I think).  I am very much aware that “penpals” and “phonepals” existed in the past. Since, a pen and a paper, or a telephone, would be the most convinient way of communicating then.  Although, Filipinos – being able to adapt to changes quite fast – were able to catch up and adapt the changes made by the coming of technology.

Technology serving us with things which made our lives so much easier – including ways of communicating to others.  Communication was made easy.  Also socialization.  Meeting new friends and keeping old ones by mere communication have never been easier.  I guess it goes the same with relationships.

Many Filipinas would be seen happily strolling around the mall with their American boyfriends, or vice versa.  Well, we may say that they met through common friends, but most probably most would think that they met somewhere online.  The internet, being a very big environment, kept people close; and Filipinos always had the hospitable and friendsly side which makes them more attractive (or somewhat like that) to others, especially foreigners.

Image Source

Did I already mentioned that Panda B also indicated in her post that “There were also stories of heart breaks caused by the Filipino-American relationships. These stories range from geographical difficulties to cultural differences to illlegal and even criminal acts done by both parties.” This maybe the most common used reason of why Fil-Am relationships would not work: long distance relationships, inability to adapt to each other’s culture or even unacceptable acts done by both parties.

Although, I think these also are reasons which cause typical Filipino-Filipino romantic relationships to end.  Except the adaptation of culture part, because both parties are Filipinos.  But, at the end of the day, it’s always about communication, trust and respect which make relationship work. Or maybe at least, for what I think.  I don’t think the way of communication and the distance matter, as long as each party listens to what the other has to say, respect their opinion and just love them as much. <3

1 comment: