Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I say this because I know.

Do you remember when your parents seem to tell the never-ending story of the happenings during the martial law. When our former president, Ferdinand Marcos, was known as the ruler of the country. From the stories of my parents and grandparents, it sounds like Mr. Marcos had the whole Philippines within the palm of his hands.

Image Source

As a college student, it has been a part of my daily routine to check on my phone and my social networking accounts on a daily basis – or whenever I am available to check on them. Well, I think everyone does. At least everyone whose close to me.

I found an article, during my usual daily surfing the internet hobby, by Jon Hurdle in a site called Reuters. His article's entitled “Social media can rule your life, college friend,” and is about how college students are affected with the use of social media.

College Friends (Credits to Mishal Ordoñez)

The article says about how a week-long blackout of social media made in Harrisburg University of Science and Technology affected a certain number of students chosen to be part of the experiment. Their conclusion on the said experiment seem to be that social media should be used alongside old-fashioned personal communication.

And, I totally agree. As always, I have always thought life should not revolve along social media alone. Being a student, and an adolescent, all these social media have been a part of my teenage-life. Maybe you have seen photos or quotations on Facebook which says something like, “90's babies are gonna be the last generation of kids who grew up playing with their friends on the streets.”

True, is it? Kids nowadays know more on technology-related games and stuffs, but only a few know how to play piko, patintero, tumbang preso, hide and seek, and every game made on the streets you may think of. These games are fun!

Mga Larong Pinoy


These games are not just games. These games make the best out of its players. Team work and sportsmanship are some of the best things that we learn from playing games with our friends – our childhood friends.

Mere friendship made or earned personally, I can say, is far better than those made or earned through social media. Although, social media may probably be a great help not to forget those whom you first new – or sometimes termed as your old friends.

Source


Social media being part of one's social life is , I think, the same with school related things. It is good to excel in school with your personal efforts. With personal efforts, I meant efforts made when studying with the help of your books and hand outs from your professors or things like that.

I'm not saying help from social media are not good, but well, you see, when you start opening cellular phones or opening social networking sites, you end up not concentrating on what you do – on studying. You get what I mean? I am not saying this out of what I read or what, I am saying this because I know. I am there. I know this from experience. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment