Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Which do you prefer?


I did not go to school last Monday. I was not feeling well. Maybe because of what I did over the weekend with my sister and cousins. So, instead of having an unproductive day, I decided to research on things that I will be needing for school works. I have tons of things to do, actually.

As I was looking over what I can use at Google, I saw an article called “Teens in survey paint positive picture of social media's effect on their lives” and clicked its link. It was written by Cecilia Kang for The Washington Post.

Source

I was enlightened with its title. (Ha-ha!) I thought, “finally! A positive result for teens.” Personally, if I were asked, I can only count, with my fingers, the number of positive outcome of social media that I can think of. Especially Facebook and Twitter.

The article was summarizing a result of a survey made for teens who use social media. It says, “More than half of these “digital natives” – the first generation to have grown up with Facebook – said these technologies have helped them keep in touch with friends, get to know other students at their school better or connect with those who share a common interest.

My high school schoolmates. ;)

Incidentally, this is my reason for signing up at Facebook. To be connected with my friends. I remember when my mom used to ask me, “bakit ka pa naggaganyan? E nakikita mo naman mga kaibigan mo sa school araw araw.” We used to argue with that thought, actually. But later on, I saw her sign up for Facebook as well.

Yes, I must tell that I see my friends at school. I talk to them almost everyday. But, I think, Facebook has given us a little something to use to share other things that we were not able to when we are at school. During my entire membership at Facebook, I have gained friends already. Friends whom I only see at school but are not within my circle of friends; friends whom I thought would never consider me as their friends.

With the help of Facebook, I have seen and met different types of people. Most of them are the same on how they approach people online and on personal. But, there are still people who boast and – in a way – insult others online but are angel-like when approaching personally.

Image Source

Also, the article indicates, “Text messaging is still the favored application of teens for communicating. Two-thirds of respondents said they text every day, and half said they visit social-networking sites daily. One-quarter of teens use at least two different types of social media a day.

I am a fan of text messaging. Really. Of course, there are times when I cannot access the internet, so, when I encounter those times, my phone never fails me – well, it does not fail me anytime. ;) As I said in my other post, I use my phone for almost everything.

Still, half of all respondents said real-life communication is the most fun and fruitful for their relationships.” says in the article. I smiled when I read this. I thought to myself, “if I were a respondent during this survey, I may have been a part of this half.

I may be a fan of social media and all, but I am a bigger fan of real-life communication, interaction and relationship. I think it is more fun running at the streets with your friends, laughing your hearts out, and agreeing on simple silly things.

How 'bout you? Which do you prefer? ;)


1 comment: