Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Message replied.

I woke up late today, like literally late. When I woke up, the first thing I checked was my mobile phone. This is becoming my habit, actually. Maybe because I use my phone for almost everything -- text messaging, phone calls, alarm clock, playing games, and even on checking my accounts on different networking sites.

So, as I was saying, the first thing I checked was my phone. And I saw about five (5) new messages on its screen. Four of them were from my friends, and guess who's the other one. My grand mother! She sent me a text message saying "alas dose na kain na tayo." Haha! I think that's cute. It made me smile, actually, even though I had back and neck pain as I woke up.

My grandmother's text message.

I got up as soon as I read her message, and went straight down to our living room and switched on our computer. Yes, I turned on our computer first than washing my face. (Okay, that's embarassing. Haha!) And then I suddenly realized how social media is affecting me, personally.

I decided to write this post, as I was in peak of thinking how social media affected me, I saw an article entitled "Being 'Always On' Impacts Personal Relationships More Than It Impacts The Written Language" on a research site, that I saw on google, called Science Daily. There was no indicated author on the article, though. But the whole article tackles on a book written by Naomi S. Baron. "Always On: Language in an Online and Mobile World" was the title of her book.

Baron's book (Image Source)



The book of Baron was about what is the difference, in terms of impact, of online language to written language. Baron explains in her book the result of a decade of research on her view of how technology has affected our reading, writing and listening behaviors.

“People have always found ways to avoid unwanted conversation: crossing the street when a person you don’t want to talk with is approaching or hanging up the phone if your boyfriend’s mother—rather than your boyfriend—answers,” Baron said. “However, new online and mobile technologies increase the range of options at our disposal for choosing when we want to interact with whom. We check caller ID on our cell phones before taking the call. We block people on IM or Facebook. And we forward email or text messages to people for whom they were never intended.”

Naomi S. Baron

I must admit, this is an issue within our family. Everyone has their own mobile phones and all are expected to have their prepaid loads or anything that would make them answer or reply on important calls or messages.  But, the thing is, not all have their loads. It became a habit that when we arrive home and our parents ask “tinatawagan kita, bakit di ka sumasagot?” or “text ako ng text, bakit di ka nagrereply?

Our common answer would be “ay, nakasilent phone ko eh.” or “la ko load.” They decided to get a postpaid plan for my older sister, who is really not good with reasoning. No load and silent phone would always be her reason. So, they thought that with their decision of her having a post paid plan, she would not reason up anymore of not having prepaid load to reply.

On the other hand, I have learned my lesson with this.  Back in high school, I always ask my dad for money for me to buy prepaid loads. But now, in college, I save money for prepaid loads. I don't ask anymore – unless if everything that I have saved are gone or if I am saving it for something else. Also, I always put my phone on silent mode wherein it would vibrate when there is an incoming call or message. I'm doing this so that I would not have any reason for not answering important calls or messages.



P.S.: I was supposed to post this (just this one) last week, October 10. But unfortunately, we had trouble with our internet connection. Currently, we are still experiencing some troubles on our connection but I am making ways to still be able to post blogs. ;) Enjoy reading! ;)

1 comment: